Monday 30 March 2015

Location Photography

We have been assigned the task of producing a series of 12 images from a location photography shoot. Here is some initial research of my own as to how I will conduct the shoot and the style of photographs I would like to emulate.

Firstly, I will explain that for some time I have been planning to produce a series of landscape images which I can then photoshop people into to produce an all encompassing series of portraits with magnificent natural or urban backdrops. I plan on this unit to capture 12 location images in which I can later add people into the photographs.

Below is some research of the types of images I would like to produce and the way I would like to go about producing them.

The first photographer I looked at was a photographer who's work I know very well. He produces composite imagery to create a feeling through his photographs, although there is a sense of unreality in his images I don't think his purpose is to create realistic images. His name is Erik Almas and the screenshots below are taken from his website: http://www.erikalmas.com/







They say it's better to aim high so these are the kind of images I would hope to produce, allowing room in the foreground to add human subjects. I too would like to produce such images through composites but more likely in settings of greenery due to a national park being close to my home. 

Here are some other photographs in which carry a similar depth of feeling. I would like to recreate the power of these images in my own, although the locations will be considerably different. 

The below image I found on viewbug.com, taken by an individual who goes by the name of Wolongshan on this particular website.



The image carries incredible power, he captures the stillness of the sky and the rocks with the almost violent, ceaseless power and movement of the waves. He uses a composition which pulls you into the centre of the image, leading your eyes in from the left corner and outward from the very centre to view the rocks waves and stars, all the way back to the foreground where you can once again see the power and detail of the waves.

I have planned a shoot in the following location, I found this location on darkskydiscovery.org.uk, I plan to take images of the night sky in this location to replace with the sky from other images I take where the sky may not be so incredible:



I can't choose a date as such to photograph at this location as I need to be sure on the day the sky will be clear. The same is true with the location I hope to do the bulk of my photography in: The Ees, Chorlton. The Ees is a small nature reserve, there is small lake in the park and the river mersey which passes through, there are numerous woody areas and also a few wild meadows, however I may also try and incorporate images I have previously taken of fields and hills in North Yorkshire.

Here is an image I have captured a few years previous in the same park (chorlton ees), along with a map of it's location (The largest green area towards the bottom left hand side):



Below is a mood board of some images similar to the style I would like to finally produce with the human subjects added. All of the images have been produced by Erik Almas and are unfortunately not captured in locations similar to where I will be shooting.









 This is the end of my brief :) Thanks for reading.

Joseph Rigby

www.josephrigbyphotography.co.uk




No comments:

Post a Comment