Tuesday 12 May 2015

Location photography

Here are the final results form my location project.

Drastically different from the images I proposed to create due to time constraints and an opportunity to work with a talented model on short notice.

Running up to the shoot I had been gathering an interest in urban portrait photography. Through observing the work of other photographers I had noticed how much the surrounding scenery can lend to the feel an image and work with the main subject to develop a story, and cities prove remarkably versatile for the backdrop of an image. I developed a preference for urban environments over natural locations in the weeks prior to my shoot, this was due to how quickly an urban environment can change. For both practical reasons and artistic reasons it's helpful to be able to find such different locations with different lighting conditions so close together. All of the photographs in this series of images were taken just a 5 minutes walk from each other.

Prior to organising the shoot I managed to get hold of some location lighting with daylight temperature flash and a continuous tungsten modelling light. For any shots where the model was lit by ambient light I incorporated the tungsten modelling lamp to enhance the lighting of the image. However, you will notice some shots where there was very little ambient light, in these images I used the daylight flash to add a sense of drama. In order to balance my lighting with the ambient lighting I used very wide apertures to keep everything lit, because of this the images are very soft. We (me - Joseph Rigby, the model - Roarie Yum and my assistant - Lewis Evans) continued to move around the small area we were in to achieve as much variety as possible in the photographs :)












Overall I believe the images turned out well, we achieved a variety of look in a variety of locations, the lighting came out brilliantly and we made good use of the urban location. The model was also very good and some of the images really feel to be part of a story. If i could change anything I would perhaps increase the ISO to allow for smaller apertures and sharper images.


Feel free to check out my website :) www.josephrigbyphotography.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment